Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 1998 09:41:00 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@iijlab.net>
To:        Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDi IPv6 (was: Re: Can we just come to a decision on IPv6 and IPSec?)

>> For the rest the set-up and configuring was a breeze just when it came to
>> userland tool flags it's confusing to use -ipv6 one time and -ip6 the next.
>> Hope this sort of thing can be avoided or standardized under FreeBSD...
>I think the goal is transparency to the user, i.e., use IPv6 when possible
>and IPv4 when necessary. Although, there will probably be cases where
>people will want to make this selection manually.

	ifconfig, route and other maintenance commands needs "-inet6" flag,
	like:
	# ifconfig ed0 inet 10.1.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00
		       ~~~~ this is assumed so you usually don't use this
	# ifconfig ed0 inet6 3ffe:0501:4819:ffff:1:2:3:4 prefixlen 64 alias

	Also we sometimes need such flag to force IPv4 (or v6) adderss is used.
	For example:
	# ssh localhost		(v4, or v6 - I don't care)
	# ssh -4 localhost	(v4)
	# ssh -6 localhost	(v4)
	# ssh 127.0.0.1		(v4 too)
	# ssh ::1		(v6)

	I agree that options should be standardized among userland tools.
	KAME is trying to use "-inet6", "inet6" or "-6" for this.

itojun