Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:45:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2: wdc0 not found at 0x1f0 :-(

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Miroslav Kes wrote:

> I have PC with PCI bus and (among others) onboard IDE hard disk
> controller. There is only one device connected to it - ACER 16x CDROM.
> It is set as the master on that controller. My hard drives are SCSI and
> there is no problem. Everything goes OK during startup but the FreeBSD
> (2.2.2 from Walnut Creek CDROM) cannot find the wdc0 controller:

I assume that this CD is a leftover, since if you have SCSI you'd
certainly want to use a SCSI CDROM instead of IDE's, which don't adhere to
standards that well.

> wdc0 not found at 0x1f0

Is this controller enabled in BIOS setup and is your cabling & jumpers set
correctly?  The CD should be set to `single,' if it's a different setting
from `master.'

> options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
> device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM

These do have to be in your current kernel.