Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 11:59:15 +0200
From:      Rob Schofield <schofiel@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with SCSI disks

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > After installing FreeBSD 2.2.2 and 2.2.5, and trying to reboot from a
> > Fujitsu 4.3G SCSI hard disk, I always get the message saying No Bootable
> > Partition.
> > I have also 4 IDE devices installed.
>
> What are you using to try to boot from the 5th disk in your system?
> Many BIOSsen will only allow you to boot from the first or second disk.

Plus, I was under the impression that unless your BIOS specifically
supports "Boot from SCSI", the SCSI bus adapter BIOS will not install to
allow a boot from the SCSI disk in the first place; having four IDE
devices with the primary adaptor setup as your normal boot device would
by default prevent a SCSI boot!

I loaded the FBSD boot loader onto my primary ESDI disk a year or two
back and pointed it at my SCSI disks attached to the bus adaptor (an
AHA1740A), then used FDISK to set the bootable partition to be the
Primary DOS partition on the 1st ESDI disk; this means the BIOS boot
loader will first load the secondary loader in the MBR on the first (for
you IDE) disk, which now contains the FBSD boot loader; you should then
be able to choose the tertiary boot loader for the OS you want, eg. DOS
on the first disk, FBSD on the (non-DOS bootable) SCSI disk.

Rob Schofield