Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:10:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'truly' or 'dangerously' dedicated enhancement request?

Yeah -- some bioses choke over 'dangerously dedicated' disks.  The one I
just looked at (and another that I've heard about) seem to just want to
verify that the partition table and size of the active partition are
valid.

I'm using a MB with a phoenix bios that hangs at boot time when boot1 is
in the mbr.  Note that this is when boot1 is in sector zero of _any_ disk
in the system, not just in the boot disk.  It doesn't even get to where it
is loaded before the machine hangs.  (Yes, a bios that wont boot the
primary boot device because of a messed up partition table in a non-boot
device should be considered broken, but I digress).

So I've found that if I fdisk the 'broken' disks (ie changing the
partition table found in boot1 in sector 0 in a dedicated installation) to
have values that are more correct, then the bios doesn't choke and the
disks boot fine.  All I ended up having to do was to check my disklabel,
note the number of sectors and put that in in place of the 'size'
paramater (by default, 50000), and let fdisk recompute the CHS numbers
automagically.

I can't guess what problems other bioses have with dedicated
installations, but at least for this one, just fixing the partition table
with 'sane' numbers was sufficient to make the machine work.

To be honest, I dont know exactly what magic the bios thinks it is trying
to do but when I put the number of sectors in as reported by disklabel as
the number of sectors in partition 4 (the fake one stored in boot1 in
sector 0) things suddenly started working.

So, how about an option to disklabel, or perhaps something like fdisk -e
that actually puts valid data in the boot1 partition table for 'dedicated'
installs? I certainly wouldn't hurt to make boot1 partition table contain
valid data, and it might make 'truly' or 'dangerously' dedicated installs
work better for a wider variety of people.

--
Fred Clift - fred@veriohosting.com -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.