Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:01:09 -0800
From:      speth@scruz.net (James G. Speth)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.7-RELEASE broken?

Good morning,

Last night I installed the 2.1.7-RELEASE of FreeBSD on a new pentium system,
and I've been getting all sorts of strange compiler errors since then.  Did
something in the compiler break in this release?

I've been trying to compile a file that compiles completely clean on our
other FreeBSD system running 2.1.0-RELEASE #4.  3 of 4 times I got internal
compiler errors.  The fourth time I got a clean compile, no errors at all.
Here is some of the error output:

Try 1:
cc -g -c billing.c
assertion "fragP->fr_offset >= 0" failed: file "/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/as/write.c"
, line 529
cc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 6
*** Error code 1
Stop.

Try 2:
cc -g -c billing.c
billing.c: In function `undo':
billing.c:3880: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
(jump_insn 155 153 156 (set (pc)
        (UnKnown Unknown)) -1 (nil)
    (nil))
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
*** Error code 1
Stop.

Try 3:
cc -g -c billing.c
billing.c: In function `undo':
billing.c:3880: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
(jump_insn 155 153 156 (set (pc)
        (UnKnown Unknown)) -1 (nil)
    (nil))
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
*** Error code 1
Stop.

Try 4:
cc -g -c billing.c