Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 02:38:04 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

--0-1242273055-900632284=:4014

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Anonymous wrote:

> INTRODUCTION
>
> On July 10, 1998 a message was posted to the University of Washington Pine
> mailing lists about a security problem in the UW imapd server released with
> Pine 4.00, viewable at:
>
>     http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/1998.07/msg00062.html
>
> Out of curiosity, I decided to do some source code diffs to see what
> changed between the patched and unpatched versions of imapd.  Sure enough,
> there was a *major* security hole.  The message from the Pine developers
> failed, however, to underscore the severity of the hole hence this security
> advisory.

 The current port skeleton available at
   ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/mail/imap-uw
 is using a *vulnerable* source tarball !

 I have submitted a patch today to update the port to use the latest
source tarball on ftp.cac.washington.edu (grep the freebsd-ports mailing
list for the "imap-uw security hole -- please update port" subject).
 Until then you can use the attached patch which will update the port in
order to use the current source tarball.

  Adrian Penisoara
  Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)

--0-1242273055-900632284=:4014

H4sICOyLrjUCA2ltYXAtdXctNC4xZi5kaWZmAOVWa2/bNhT9LP+KWyRAt9SW
rJctC/NQLZYNt7ET2NoaDAMCSqRiNnpNpOIEhfvbS0qxYxfOumEbMGCCHiTv
k/cckTw7O4MZuiMxTYial/RWmeUZvKsyAAd00zUN17JAHwycVqfT2akq45IK
rQT0PnQN19Bde9BonR1esg96W+9B3QM4gTlZQ5GXnEGUJwmJOBUR0yfHEOel
q9AUFZ1q3Xol1H8hJZMaJfm9oiXBrmKpekg4qp2NECcQlUR8hEQZwDuUyUT6
tfTDKk/FqFIwLvv12OkUu7t5tO9BV3WzTl3r9rRuHwzT7equ4QDj5J6A/1DA
6ZOxyGc0XQZzb+YPmxxFKupPfuAJydX7yZ6gWktZKIzOvcCfXC6m/nKopIgm
QnXmLQN/cbOcBnJwxXnhatp6vVbjkpCQYQHErfa5jq/Bb8JAUeJaR7zVCEXq
GrEVzW55nqkEV5qMqIlQ/nWw8M6Dm+XP4+uhonJUqr/KtEFEnM4D8fiLXX5v
t8EQflTLvIZXAGWDaHT+MaD+KyCNp3Pv4gWU/gxI/379j/44Ttuwt3+Od3Fx
E3iLiR8MlZDFtde5M1QUWuQFVh2QjsW3qUFRkk5Y0QS7kj9vo1WaY+jbNpx+
+rB4v1ycbzRWRlrOMCm0KqMPGi7pvYDwZYX0DlV8xZoZnQBfUQZlJagQVWVJ
Mp48AmXZaw4REnTBkJdQMYLbEJIIiRZQ/ppBlnNgVRzTiAob4HntjGaMCyv4
WDExtiKgIqhphjIMEhF11QaWw5oAW+VVgmWcrRHKHrnEAxAH0X/VcLnfNqwt
mf9a7U4Oinfyf6veMSYag7a5Y6K4cd55sndFTzn9NJ0vA1nlkRd4m70qRJ0o
kalqCQ23bZXlqqHqQutq4Y+n1xspbHWkm4vR+eV8PJ1soJN+JT8Ic7W4nCy8
2X6kGsLmfWhJHkj0bWtJhPpt/D1z85i5JKThtE2zIeSxCptO2zKaCktts9e2
zC19FeWQVntTVZ1oL16KMvk42jOf9/IWnN+I/eSIv132L/prZK03IO4iZ/wZ
/jffxE3cKs2ipMIEfpBLntxV1PTux3rikqhMS7HdnD+Wgob1+aMHYom3u7uT
hazKTlcJVlVzAOmB0a3VnD84gDR1FYv6yIbvDnbuZpX+HoZgDWzSj7GDY72L
I9PpYtvu6whZ4YD0Yhw2q0oDydee6u3l2RUKQyeO+70Io16v69j9CBmWaDum
08eWEbe+AAP+ghN3CQAA
--0-1242273055-900632284=:4014--