Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:14:43 +0100
From:      "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strangeness with IPFW + NATD

Hi,

I seem to be having a rather odd problem with IPFW + NATD.

I have added rules to allow a certain IP address access to port 80 which is
redirected to an internal host.

Now, this doesn't work whatsoever from a Windows 2K or XP machine, if I type
the hostname or IP address in IE6 I can see the packets going back and forth
fine
but nothing is displayed apart from the "Server or DNS error" bit.

If I telnet to the host port 80 from the Windoze telnet client, I just get
"Connecting to x.x.x.x....", once
again I can see the packets going through the firewall fine (I have maximum
logging setup here ;) ).

Fair enough, sounds like a misconfig somewhere. But Im convinced everything
is fine.. so I reboot
the WinXP box and boot into FreeBSD (they both have the same IP address).

Now, using netscape, telnet, lynx I can connect perfectly ok to this IP
address,
and have the web page displayed, which is the odd part!

It is definatly not a setting on the windows client, but Im really
scratching my head over this one
as I cannot see any reason for the webpage not to load, especially when it
works fine from any UNIX
shell around the world!

FYI I am running  FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Tue Aug 13 16:31:04 BST 2002.

Grateful for any insight anyone could give me on this rather bizarre issue.

--
Jamie Heckford
Network Manager

t: +44(0)1737 780790