Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 2002 21:21:40 -0400
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "patrick" <patrick@esoltani.com>, "Pascal Giannakakis" <capm@gmx.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with "shutdown -p now"

At 17:39 2002/06/03 -0700, patrick wrote:

> > In /etc/rc.conf add
> > apm_enable="YES"
>
>Or is it apmd_enable="YES" ?

When I first looked on google to figure out what I was missing, someone had
posted that you needed both of those in /etc/rc.conf.  However, I left out the
apmd_enable
without problem.  One person also suggested enabling a bunch of other stuff
in the kernel--ah, here it is (I'd bookmarked it at one point)

You need to do the following... 1. Compile kernel with the following options
device apm
device intpm
device smbus
  device smb
2. enable apm in /etc/rc.conf
  3. enable apmd in /etc/rc.conf

However, as I said, I only did apm and took the disabled out in my kernel
and that worked for me--an ASUS MB and a couple of lowend Sis ones

> > In your kernel, you'll see a line about apm0 and somewhere in the middle
>of
> > the line the word disabled.  Remove the word disabled, recompile the
>kernel
> > and you should be good to go.
>
>Did that and still no go.  Any thoughts?  I know linux on the same machine
>turns off the box as it should and it has to do with config, somehow.

Just the above additional options--I didn't find them necessary, and to be
honest, didn't even research what they did. (When I had the problem, I saw
the enable_apm and adding apm to the kernel first, figured I'd try the
first, simpler one first.  Just bookmarked the other in case the first
didn't work.

Scott