Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:10:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        "Gray, David W." <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Current list' <FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Rc2 install

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Gray, David W. wrote:

> I've come to the conclusion that the -current stuff really doesn't install
> on an 8 Meg machine anymore. I have an old 486/66 machine I'm using
> to play with the current-RC's, and it consistantly dies loading the 'bin'
> stuff.

I installed CURRENT of approx. January 1 with no problems on a 486/66
with only 8MB. Has something changed very recently that makes it
impossible now?

I installed through NFS.

In fact the disk I installed this on is now in a laptop with only a
little over 4MB (4352K), running a webserver :-)
(http://keltisch.verboden.nl, in Dutch, but there is a link at the
bottom "This server")

You cannot install on 4 MB, nor run GENERIC kernel on 4 MB. After
taking unnessary (and not strictly necessary like nfs, which is
250K) stuff out of the kernel it did run here (and is running for 28
days).
O, yes, I had to make it not do the daily checks. These frooze the 4
MB box.

> This isn't really a complaint -- after the load & boot cycle, there is only
> 2.4M free according to the boot messages, so I can see why this would
> fill up. (I wound up loading the drive on another box that usually drives my
> printer, 386/25 and 24M, talk about S.L.O.W). And it can't quite compile a
> kernel in one go, either.

I am not absolutely sure I succeeded compiling a kernel on 8 MB. I
know I did try. But because I needed a lot of tries to cut down kernel
size (and the BIOS of the laptop did not like new ata), I switched to
a faster machine for kernel compiling.

> Perhaps the release notes, or hardware file need to note you really do need
> more than 8M ?

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl              http://zelf.net
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	 12:56am  up  11 days,   3:07,  load average: 2.02 2.03 2.00