Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:42:44 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 03:32:09PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > And: how many people would volunteer for such a job?
> > Or is it assumed that since this appears suspiciously like Real Work
> > it will be a paid-for job?
>
> It will be a paid-for job, naturally.

:)

> Something we also have to stay aware of in this discussion is the fact
> that even if most hackers could give a fig for graphical installers
> and consider them to be an unneeded bit of hand-holding, it would
> still be nice to have a framework which stuff could drop into and be
> accessed via a command line or turbovision type of interface.  We're

Fundamental to the discussion is whether there is a desire for a
installer+admintool-in-one. Or that these functions are seperated out
in different tools.

> not talking about writing multiple installers for each type of UI,
> after all, since that would be an unreasonable duplication of labor.
> We're talking about one installation/configuration code base which can
> use either X or text mode interfaces at the user's discretion, so
> both "camps" get what they want.

Let's please not forget the blind users of FreeBSD..

> It's also a sad fact that journalists tend to rate products based on
> different criteria than engineers do, and even where we're getting kudos
> in the engineering community, magazines are kicking us in the nuts over
> not having something which competes head-to-head with Caldera or Red Hat.
> Sad, but true.

Very true. I know. Whatever happens, the criterium should not be a
'me too' kind of tool, but rather something better. I happen to dislike
tools that ask a bazillion questions. Assuming ease of use is
related to a more abstract selection ("What do you want to install?
Typical workstation? Web server? Firewall?" along that line) of a
installation type.

<DUCKS>
I for example like the Solaris/SPARC installation procedure. At least
on a X-display. The character cell variant works, but that is about it.
But it works on your 1970s dumb terminal.
</DUCKS>

--
Wilko Bulte 		Arnhem, The Netherlands	  - The FreeBSD Project
    			WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org