Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 1996 22:51:14 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        tinman@cco.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows and DOS for Free BSD

> > A few quick questions.  Can I run MS DOS, Windows 3.X and Windows '95
> > programs in FreeBSD?  Also, what are the system requirements?
>
> Ouch.  Please correct me here, people:

This is all correct as far as I know, but just one or two extra
points which might be worth mentioning.

> DOS:  yes with dosemu, not very well tho.  Last I heard we are working
> with BSD/OS to port over their 'rundos' system.

There's also the mtools package, which allows you to work with DOS
floppies as if you were using DOS (more or less). If you're a games
addict, the Linux version of Doom will run under the Linux emulator.

> Windows 3.X:  Yes? with Willows or Wine.

Wine has still got a long way to go from what I hear - it will run
Solitaire, but not a great deal else.

I don't know anything about Willows - isn't it a commercial product?

> Win95:  No way as of yet, AFAIK.

Yep. We don't even have the capability to read a Win95 filesystem yet
(except by pretending it's a DOS one - no long file names).

> Don't expect 100% compatibility with any of these.

Very much so! As with any other volunteer project, things only get
done if someone with the time, the inclination and the ability does
them.  And not many people seem to be interested in working on this
kind of thing...

> Any reason you'd want to punish yourself by running DOS programs under
> FreeBSD?

:-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland