Date:      Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:35:39 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>, Janos Dohanics <web@3dresearch.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9, GPT and gmirror

I can't speak to the mirror issue, but I had difficulty trying to tweak
the defaults in the install on a 128G SSD:

When manually configuring the SSD, I tried to leave some extra space at
the end of the SSD.  Not sure that is necessary or not.  In any case, I
had a 128GB SSD, reported as 119GB.  Auto config laid it out as

ada1 119GB
   ada1p1   64KB freebsd-boot
   ada1p2  115GB freebsd-ufs  /
   ada1p3    4GB freebsd-swap

I then deleted the last 2 and re-created as 100GB and 4GB, at which
point it showed

ada1 119GB
   ada1p1   64KB freebsd-boot
   ada1p2  100GB freebsd-ufs  /
   ada1p3  -15GB freebsd-swap

    (I may have the -15 wrong; main point is it was negative)
After deleting and recreating in different order I managed to get it to

ada1 119GB
   ada1p1   64KB freebsd-boot
   ada1p3    4GB freebsd-swap
   ada1p2  100GB freebsd-ufs  /
but when I tried to commit it, I got the error:

Error mounting partition /mnt:
mount: /dev/ada1p2: Operation not permitted

The only way I could get it to actually write the distribution was to
use auto and keep what it came up with.  Is this problem specific to
SSDs (seems unlikely)?  Is there some magic sequence needed to tweak the
Auto result to get it to work?

Gary