Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:03:42 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Pekka Savola <Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi>
Cc:        Spidey <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selecting which programs to have in the base system

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:41:27 EST, Spidey wrote:

> > How can I manipulate -easily- which base system files (in e.g. /bin,
> > /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin) will be installed/compiled when I cvsup the
> > sources and make world ?
>
> I don't think that's a really good idea. It's not really 'made' that
> way.

Hi Pekka,

"Spidey" is right.  FreeBSD is an integral operating system, not a
collection of bits and pieces.  The advantage of having a single, known
base system is that support is simplified and migrating administrators
find it fairly easy to merge solutions across from one FreeBSD host to
the next.

There are two cases where it's understandable that you'd want to remove
certain components from the base system:

      *	For embedded systems, where space is a serious issue.
      *	For secure/specialty systems where only that which is needed for
	a specific taks should be made available to users.

FreeBSD caters for these two scenarios by providing a mechanism through
which you can engineer your own release with the ``release'' target.

Ciao,
Sheldon.