Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:19:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@mt.sri.com, jehamby@lightside.com, jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

> > If only we were a nation of laws.
> >
> > ...wait a minute!  We are!
>
> Now I *know* you've gone off the deep end.  You'll be dragging out
> Norman Rockwell pictures of a smiling mom holding an apple pie and
> posing in front of a tractor next, if this inexplicable attack of 50's
> regress doesn't release you from its grip.
>
> A nation of laws!  Ha ha!  These crazy kids!  Where they get such
> idealistic notions from, I just don't know.

Read most everything by John Locke, and Rosseau's "The Social Contract".

Any volunteer organization invokes and instantiates a "private law"
system.  The United States is a "volunteer organization", where the
members of the society volunteer to be governed by its laws.  Despite
recent attempts to export US laws to other countries, US law remains
a "private law" system, by virtue of its non-universality.

"Govenments derive their right to govern from the governed"... one of
the "truths we hold to be self-evident".

The society of FreeBSD hackers or (its subset, the society of FreeBSD
core team members) is still a society, no less so for its size.

I can describe "games theory" and "the need for fun" and how those
philosophies interact to form societies consisting of members who
are voluntary participants only.  If you like, I can start your
education with an analysis of team sports, and why a universally
acknowledged and uniformly enforced rules set promotes individual
participation.

People play games *because* the rules are not as arbitrary as those
they face in "real life".  Everyone knows when a rules violation
occurs, and everyone enforces against violations.  It is a private law
system which promotes predictability  -- and allows us to significantly
prune the number of things we must worry about.  This reduction in
complexity, in turn, results in a reduction of stress.  Stress avoidance.
In other words, "fun".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---