Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:55:37 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, John Gregor <johng@vieo.com>, Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net, leifn@neland.dk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

Greg Black wrote:

> Sergey Babkin wrote:
>
> > Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> > > I do believe this is premature.  There really should at least be an
> > > option for the old behaviour, and there is a good argument for making
> > > the new behaviour optional dependent on a variable with the old
> >
> > Let me ask a simple question: Why ? What are the benefits of
> > preserving the old behavior ? As far as I've watched this thread
> > nobody had explained it. So could you please elaborate ?
>
> You have not been paying attention.  Please go back and /read/
> the archives on this topic which has been thrashed out in great
> detail here.  We did not reach agreement about the desired
> behaviour because the nature of this issue is that different
> people desire different behaviour.

Actually, yes, I was paying not quite a close attention. But
I went to the -hackers archive and re-read all the thread now.
The end result is that I've seen exactly zero technical arguments on
why changing the current behavior is bad. As well as zero real-life
examples and only one imaginary example.
That was one example of a job running at 2:30 and another
job which depends on it running at 3:45. However with the current
behavior if 2:30 disappears, the first job won't run anyway and
thus the second job would not be able to work correctly as well.
So this does not look like a quite compelling example.

> What was agreed by those who contributed was clearly that the
> old behaviour was to be preserved by default and that new
> behaviour was to be enabled by a command-line option, which
> could be set in rc.conf.  You have shown no reason not to go
> with the solution that was agreed, so please don't just jump in

I did and if you re-read the thread you could see my
e-mail on this. In short it is that
a) this is what people normally expect (I agree, an arguable statement)
b) practically all the commercial Unix implemenattions do support
the DST changes in cron

I'll comment more in answers to other e-mails.

-SB