Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 23:18:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: backups of SUPERBLOCK

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> Phil Kernick wrote:
> >
> > Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there an official way to get list of superblock backups for existing
> > > filesystem, other than backup/newfs/restore ?
> > >

> > Yes.  Use newfs -N which will print out the superblock locations.  My
> > experience also tells me to also put exactly the same parameters on the newfs
> > line that you used when you originally created the volume.
> >
> >  From the newfs(8) manpage:
> >       -N      Cause the file system parameters to be printed out without really
> >               creating the file system.
>
> Thank you. But how do I known parameters of existing filesystem?
>
> disklabel ad0 shows, in partcular:
>
> [...snip...]

    Completely unrelated to newfs parameters.

    Phil meant that you should pass the same blocksize, fragsize,
minfree, inode density, etc., to newfs -N that you passed to the
original newfs that created the filesystem.

    If you didn't do any custom tuning with newfs, it's likely that

        newfs -N -b 8192 -f 1024 # pre 4.6

    or

        newfs -N -b 16384 -f 2048 # 4.6 and up

will be sufficient.