Date:      Sat, 08 Aug 1998 14:04:51 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

> Let me add to this discussion my (now somewhat tired) song regarding
> compiling older pre-ANSI software.
>
> It's very nice that we can 'turn off' "const", "volatile",
> prototypes in the header files; just for this purpose...
>
> Every now-and-then, a stray "const" seems to slip into the headers;
> which breaks some of my older software...

How could that happen?  We don't change your old software.  We change
FreeBSD.  FreeBSD is built using the FreeBSD compiler.  That compiler
is not K&R, and it never will be K&R again.  If you are using an old
compiler to compile FreeBSD header files, then I can only say, "Don't
do that."  We have explicitly abandoned the goal of being compatible
with K&R compilers.

If you mean that your old software isn't const-correct, then (a)
that's a compiler warning under FreeBSD, not an error, and (b) isn't
it about time you fixed your software?  The ANSI/ISO C standard was
ratified almost 10 years ago.  Surely everybody has had ample time to
get used to the idea by now.