Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:21:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

> Yes...actually i have a pretty good idea what im talking about.
> There are things that belong in the kernel and things that dont.
> Thinks that interarct with
> USERS
> clearly belong in user space, because you can't save a process
> switch anyway and users are clearly an incremental variable. ppp,
> on the otherhand, is a network interface, whose traffic is most
> usually routed to another network interface. Since > everything
> else is in the kernel, its nonsensical to pull data out just to
> do a tiny bit of processing (probably none actually) just to push
> it back in. Your beating up your system for no reason, and if
> you're charging customers then your cheating them as well.

Er.

I think you are confusing implementation details with implementability.

Typically I mmap the buffer area in my applications, which saves me
the copy because the mapping is the same in both spaces after I
ioctl the buffer address to a driver to lock the pages down and
get their absolute address for later use by the kernel.

Context switch overhead for a given MTU of serial data before a
packet end is *nothing* if implemented as a line discipline.

Is this a case of missing the forest for the trees?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.