Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 08:23:06 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.purdue.edu>
Cc:        "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@salsa.habaneros.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'm almost afraid to ask, but....

-------

Benjamin Lewis uttered with conviction:
>Niel C. Jensen wrote:
>> It's time for us to upgrade and buy a new Internet server; primarily
>> running Aache and probably mSQL. Our present server is based on FreeBSD
>> 2.1R, and I've been very happy with it (thank-you FreeBSD team!).
>> Unfortunately, I'm getting questions from my colleagues re. the use of
>> other systems (i.e. Sun Netra, Sun SPARC5, SGI WebForce Indy, etc). The
>> feeling is that because we are not paying (through the nose, I might add),
>> we are not getting quality, fast systems. I would like to get some hard
>> evidence to support my arguments to continue using FreeBSD.

 There was a report on performance differences between Solaris, FreeBSD and
Linux running on a pentium from the Usenix96 conference:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sd96/lai.html

 You have to be a usenix memeber to get it.

 -branson
 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?