Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:02:23 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
Cc:        Wim Livens <wim@livens.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup ports: Error: your port uses an old layout.

Lanny Baron (lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM) wrote:

> Hi,
> Get the ports back. #/stand/sysinstall
> What you have below in your cvsup file (assuming this is your ports-supfile)
> seems ok. After you have your ports back again, in an xterm window or in
> plain text mode, and as root, type this;
> cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> That will get you up to date in the ports.
>
> Just a suggestion, next time don't rm -rf /usr/ports

From a search of the archives, the "your port uses an old layout"
incident is common. I personally had this problem after installing
a FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE CD and then cvsupping the latest ports. A
commonly offered solution, and one which worked for me, is to delete
your old ports tree and re-cvsup.

The problem is that cvsup -- even with "default delete" enabled in the
supfile -- does not delete files unknown to the server. This means if
you have an old tree, one installed off a CD for example, cvsup will not
perfectly synchronize the trees! Stale directories are left in
/usr/ports, and to to the best of my knowledge the most convenient way
to clean up the problem is with brute force: delete the entire
/usr/ports heirarchy and cvsup again.

(I suppose you might be able to checkout the ports using cvs -P instead
of cvsup; I've never tried this.)

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105