Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:55:40 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Any outstanding soft-updates or FFS bugs (matching this description)?

	Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:36:12 -0500
	From: Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
	To: Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
	CC: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG,
		mckusick@mckusick.com
	Subject: Re: Any outstanding soft-updates or FFS bugs (matching this
	 description)?

	Matt Dillon wrote:

	>     I've had filesystems blow up under test when filling a parition
	>     with softupdates turned on.  The most recent time was last
	>     weekend while I was testing low-memory stuff.

	It would be nice if the softupdates code (or maybe other kernel code
	could do this) could detect when filesystem space is running low, and
	kick into some "fail-safe" mode.  For example, when the free space drops
	below 15%, softupdates could automatically shut itself off, and then
	turn itself back on when the free space rises above 20% (hysteresis).

	- Donn

Unfortunately, soft updates are not easily turned off and on. Doing
so requires stopping all operations on the filesystem which is non
trivial and disruptive. And more to the point, soft updates should
not fail in an out-of-space situation. If it does, that is a bug and
should be fixed.

	Kirk McKusick