Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:41:55 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 7-STABLE +Gnome +Compiz-Fusion?

Hi,
  I'm trying to get Compiz-Fusion + Gnome to work on my newly (completed
installation + initial upgrades last night) installed IBM T43p notebook,
but I'm not sure that I'm doing this right..,

Basically, I've: -

1] Installed OS
2] Upgraded OS to latest Stable as of (early AM) Aug 17th 2008
3] Upgraded install-time ports (portupgrade, cvsup, etc)
4] Installed XORG
5] Installed compiz-fusion from ports
6] installed gnome2 from ports
7] Tried following instructions located here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html

I can log into Gnome desktop fine, but running the suggested cmds:

% compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
% emerald --replace &

as per the article above, doesn't appear to do anything. I mean, what else
is there that I need to do, besides, please?

Here's some system info:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD <snipped> 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Sat Aug
16 19:49:12 BST 2008
root@<snipped>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IRON  i386
$ pkg_info -a | grep -i compiz-fusion | head -3
compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.6.0_2
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.6.0_2
compiz-fusion-0.6.0_1
$ pkg_info -a | grep -i gnome2-2 | head -1
gnome2-2.22.3
$ pkg_info -a | grep -i xorg-server | head -1
xorg-server-1.4.2,1
$

Graphics card: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]

Any help or pointers appreciated, please.

Thanks!

Regards,

S Roberts