Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:09:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/43345: Support for the SiS 651 ATA controller

It seems Aaron D. Gifford wrote:
> Then on one of the messages, I noticed a link to Patrick Bihan-Faou's
> problem report, read it, and tried out his patch under 5.0-CURRENT
> (having completed my install of 5.0-RELEASE and updated to -CURRENT).
> Of course the line numbers were a bit different, but a hand patch of the
> two files was quick and easy.  A quick kernel recompile, BIOS re-enable
> of UDMA, and boot proved the patch worked!

The patch does *not* work, the reason you have it sortof working is that
the driver writes to the wrong regs, and your BIOS set up the mode
correctly..
I have a working solution here, and it will get committed to -current
as soon as I have it tested some more. This cannot easily be backported
to -stable since it is part of a major rewrite of parts of the ATA
driver. However when it has proven to be working, I'll try to get the
SiS part backported to the older ATA driver in -stable, time permitting...

-Søren