Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 00:00:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@best.net (Dima Ruban)
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        dima@best.net, jkb@best.com, peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH vsprintf patch. (You've been warned Mr. Glass)

Matthew N. Dodd writes:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Dima Ruban wrote:
> > Let me ask you this. Would you trust a packet that came from
> > non-priviledged port and which wants to do something that even
> > remotely should be secure?
>
> The concept of 'secure port' is somewhat dated in this age of NT and Linux
> lusers.
>
> The bar for entry onto the net is quite a bit lower than it was 10 years
> ago.
>
> Trusting a 'secure port' is a good way to let someone else shoot you in
> the foot.

Heh. I see you run nfs on your machine. Now tell me, do you actually allow
weak NFS authentication, or do you actually somehow relie on a "priviledged
port" stuff?
I'm not arguing about whether it's good or bad to have priviledged ports as
they are now. All I'm saying is if packet came from a priviledged port, then
this packet was send by root. It's a totally different question whether
you can 100% believe this information.

> --
> | Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
> | winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |
> | http://www.jurai.net/~winter | Are you k-rad elite enough for my webpage?   |

-- dima