Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:19:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade problems

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <20000307115632.A72634@relay.ucb.crimea.ua> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> : > 1) genassym and config were complaining about not being able to find
> : > libc.so.4 when I installed them. Workaround: go back and rebuild with with
> : > CFLAGS="-static"
>
> A better work around is cd lib/libc and do a make install.

I'm pretty sure I tried that - I can't remember if it screwed me up
(signal 12 errors) or just didn't work.

> : We certainly need to update src/UPDATING accordingly, see the patch
> : attached.
>
> : +	make buildkernel installkernel KERNEL="NAME_OF_YOUR_KERNEL"
>
> I'm not sure that this is wise.  When I tried this, I got
> /NAME_OF_YOUR_KERNEL rather than /kernel like I'd have expected.

Sounds like a bug. However, IMO people should be building GENERIC as their
first 4.0 kernel, because all the config file changes mean they won't be
able to just use their old one, and chances are they might screw up and
miss out something important and then blame it on 4.0 instead of their own
ignorance. If we get them booting with GENERIC and prove they can (which
is what the buildkernel target does by default), then it's more obviously
user error when the next kernel they build doesn't work (plus, they
have a working 4.0 kernel to fall back on, namely kernel.old :-)

Kris

----