Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:29:08 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator" <yankee@az.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Windows Update

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:55:02 PST, "Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator" w
rote:

> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
[...]
> Although if FreeBSD implemented something similar to this, it might
> be nice to consider when public notification of the nature of the
> problem before, during or after a particular fix was automatically
> disseminated would be appropriate.

FreeBSD already has the resources required to deliver this service.  We
have several easy ways to keep the system up-to-date with the latest
and greatest fixes (CVS, CVSup, CTM).  We have a mailing list on which
all these fixes are described (cvs-all).  And we have a mailing list on
which official announcements are made once serious security problems
have been investigated and solutions made available (freebsd-security).

If you'd like to set up a web site on which you provide what you
consider to be a digest of significant issues fixed but not announced on
freebsd-security, you're welcome to do that. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.