Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:23:50 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>
Cc:        Trevor Legall <twlegall@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compatibility Modules for Linux (performance issues)

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 09:00:31AM -0800, Roop Nanuwa wrote:

> Don't get me wrong here though, I have yet to see any
> benchmarks/statistics to factually prove this. All of my
> reasons to believe this to be true is because of personal experience and
> anecdotal stories from others.
>
> RSN
>
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Trevor Legall wrote:
>
> > What is the performance hit in running programs for example Linux programs
> > using a compatibility module??

FWIW, some time ago I did some comparison tests running the linux version of
Unreal Tournament (version 4.28) in Redhat 6.1 and in the linux compat mode
of FreeBSD, on the same machine. Since that PC also had Win'98, I did
the test there as well (using the Windows version of UT, of course).
The results of running 'utbench.dem', in frames per second:

Windows'98:   15.2 FPS
RedHat 6.1:   15.8 FPS
FreeBSD 4.1:  14.3 FPS

The results reproduce well within 0.3 FPS. Hardware: K6-2 @ 500 MHz, Voodoo2
SLI, resolution 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, using the same UT configuration everywhere.

Of course, this doesn't 'prove' anything except that I observed it on my
particular machine with this particular application.

Karel.