Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:29:37 -0500
From:      Marc LeMaire <krockmitaine@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   device.hints problem

Hello you all,
This is my first posting here so please be patient :)
I've updated my source tree and by accident, I have the 5.0 release.
That wasn't my intention : I wanted to stay on 4.7 release but I made a
mistake in my cvsup file. Sure enough, while reading the GENERIC kernel,
some lines were quite different from the normal 4.7 release but I
guessed that it was new options with the coming 4.8 release. The make
world and make buildkernel went ok but when I've installed the kernel, I
received this message :

    You must set up a /boot/device.hints file first

I've looked up the docs, located de device.hints man page. But while I
found an explanation, I haven't found anything about building it, and it
seem to me a daunting task to make a correct device.hints file. My
question is this : how do I make this file ? Is this only a matter of
copying the file GENERIC.hints to /boot/device.hints ? Should I go back
to the 4.7 release ? How ?

Any "hints" are appreciated
Marc LeMaire