Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:02:15 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        darklogik@pittgoth.com
Cc:        Fred Cirera <fred@bsdhost.net>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nik, could you look over (was: Re: link broken...)

--==_Exmh_-1994638683P

If memory serves me right, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> Fred Cirera wrote:
> > Hello Guys,
> >
> > All the links to the doc, faq, handbook seems to be broken.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/index.html
> >
> > Regards.
> > Fred
> >

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/ha
> ndbook/index.html
>

> is where the link stakes you... *eyes Nik*
>
> I still don't have a working computer, otherwise i'd fix this
> for you right now.

Grrr.  I know what the problem is, but can't do an *immediate* fix.

The problem is that the old compatability links were still in place and
not deleted.  So when the Web build script went to install the
new redirecting pages, it installed them on top of the real Handbook
and FAQ.

Figuring that these documents are b0rked anyways (and thus I can't make
the situation any worse), I removed the compatability links manually.
The next time the Web build runs, it should reinstall intact copies of
the Handbook and FAQ, and place the redirecting pages in the right
place.

Experience has shown that manual Web site rebuilds (at least for me)
don't work very well, so I'm not even going to try this.  If someone who
can actually *become* the www user can kick off a Web site rebuild,
that'd help things.

(With my RE team hat on:  We *really* need the capability to initiate a
manual rebuild of the Web site.)

Bruce.

PS.  In the meantime, expect more "Handbook and FAQ" are broken
postings.

--==_Exmh_-1994638683P

--==_Exmh_-1994638683P--