Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:19:18
From:      "Mack Lobell" <macklobell@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems installing sound card PCI 338-A3D

Hi,

I'm running a box with Win98 on one partion and FreeBSD 4.2 release version
on the other.
I'm having some trouble configuring my sound card. It's a PCI 338-A3D sound
card from Aureal.

I have tried severel kernel configuration, here are some (i have used them
in different combinations):
device		pcm
device		pcm0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13
device		pcm0 at isa? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13
device		sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13

When i reboot i get:
pcm0 failed to probe at port 0x220-0x227 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13 on isa0

or

sbc0 failed to probe....

I have looked at the sound section in the handbook, but i didn't get wiser.

The sound card works fine under win98. All values (irq, dma etc..) are taken
from the win98 configuration, is that correct??

When looking in the configuration settings for win98 i found the following
for audio:

PCI 338-A3D Audio
IRQ 9
IO: 0xD800-0xD807 0xD400-0xD407

PCI 338-A3D Gameport interface
IO: 0x201

PCI 338-A3D MPU-401 interface
IO: 0x330-0x33F

PCI 338-A3D Sound blaster emulation
IRQ 5
DMA: 1 and 3
IO: 0x220-0x22F 0x388-0x38B

Some techical specifications from the sound card manual:

Sound Blaster 2.0 and Sound Blaster Pro II compliant.
AdLib compliant.
General MIDI compliant.
Roland MPU401 UART compliant.
PCI Bus Specification Rev 2.1 compliant.
PCI Bus Power Management Interface Specification Rev 1.0 compliant.
Audio Codec '97 compliant.

I hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Regards.