Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:47:42 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel ISP1100 or similar 1U experience with 4.3 stable

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:24:11PM -0400, Bsdguru@aol.com wrote:

> Its generally a bad idea to house a multi-processor system in a 1U enclosure,
> as there isnt enough cooling space and 3/4" fans are simply not powerful
> enough. Unless space is ridiculously scarce, you can get much better cooling
> and reliability with a 2U unit.

I have not had any problems (that were related to environment) with any of my
multi-processor 1U machines. There are companies[1] who know how to build them.

--
Bill Fumerola / billf@FreeBSD.org

1. rackable (http://www.rackable.com/) rocks! compaq has multi-processor 1U
   products as well (and I've never heard of the compaq 1Us having environmental
   problems either). conspiracy theory advocates will suggest that I'm paid
   to say that, though. :->