Date:      	Mon, 18 May 1998 16:27:41 -0700
From:      steven wang <shouhan@rush.aero.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   9.1 GB SCSI installation problem

I have a Microplois 3391NS SCSI  disk (9.1GB) which has a root
partition of 100MB starting from the beginning of the disk using DOS
FDISK utility.  However I have problem to install the FreeBSD 2.2.6
form the boot floppy.  The message came back saying something like,
"wrong location or size too big."

I notice that there is a FAQ (enclosed below) syaing about the 1024
cylinder limitation.  The 9.1GB (8.86 Gb formated) translates to be
larger than 1024 cylinders. My BIOS > 1GB option has been turnned on. So
I don't think it has any thing to do with the BIOS.  What could go
wrong?  I even tried to vary the root partition from 60MB to 1GB, but
none worked.   Any suggestion?

Thanks.

"2.14. Any restrictions on how I divide the disk up?

Yes. You must make sure that your root partition is below 1024 cylinders
so the
BIOS can boot the kernel from it. (Note that this is a limitation in the
PC's BIOS, not
FreeBSD).

For a SCSI drive, this will normally imply that the root partition will
be in the first
1024MB (or in the first 4096MB if extended translation is turned on -
see previous
question). For IDE, the corresponding figure is 504MB.

--
Steven Wang, Ph.D.
Computer Systems Research Department