Date:      Sat, 08 Aug 1998 15:06:45 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

> > Let me add to this discussion my (now somewhat tired) song regarding
> > compiling older pre-ANSI software.
> >
> > It's very nice that we can 'turn off' "const", "volatile",
> > prototypes in the header files; just for this purpose...
> >
> > Every now-and-then, a stray "const" seems to slip into the headers;
> > which breaks some of my older software...
>
> How could that happen?  We don't change your old software.  We change
> FreeBSD.  FreeBSD is built using the FreeBSD compiler.  That compiler
> is not K&R, and it never will be K&R again.  If you are using an old
> compiler to compile FreeBSD header files, then I can only say, "Don't
> do that."  We have explicitly abandoned the goal of being compatible
> with K&R compilers.
>
> If you mean that your old software isn't const-correct, then (a)
> that's a compiler warning under FreeBSD, not an error, and (b) isn't
> it about time you fixed your software?  The ANSI/ISO C standard was
> ratified almost 10 years ago.  Surely everybody has had ample time to
> get used to the idea by now.

Unfortunately, they haven't.

I've had (several) run-ins with const poisoning trying to port a large
third-party codebase.  It's sufficiently bogus to require -traditional
to build, and I expect not too novel in that regard.

If we support compilation of K&R application code, we should attempt to
make sure that system headers function correctly in that regard.