Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fast personal printing _without_ CUPS

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Mark Felder wrote:

> You've just made me a happy, happy user. I always wondered what it would
> take to get rid of CUPS, and today I've done it. Finally my print jobs
> are instantaneous here at work instead of being a mystery. Can't wait to
> go home and do the same with my personal laser.

Has anyone here experience with PDQ? It is a printing system that appears
to address the problems cited in this thread.

   http://pdq.sourceforge.net/

Quoting from the website:

   Most casual unix users regard lp and lpr as
   black holes to which print jobs disappear,
   and may or may not emerge.

I haven't tried it, as we have been able to make CUPS work (barely), but I
am sympathetic to the sentiments expressed. Other than Windows-specific
printers, FreeBSD printing problems are home-grown, and not caused by
vendor misbehavior.

Daniel Feenberg