Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:27:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        pb@fasterix.freenix.fr, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

Geeze, Dennis, and I usually agree with you because of your customer
perspective...

> A good example is the routing function, which is in the kernel because its
> too damn inefficient in user space.

PPP routing is a matter of poll retention time vs. transmissability,
since the interface PPP uses is generally several orders of magnitude
slower than that which it routes to/from.

What we are talking about adding is some propagation delay, and even
then, it will be on the basis of system loading and user load (which
may be zero) that determines if a context switch will actually be to
anything other than the idle process.  And if it's not, the majority
of the protection domain crossing overhead is in the copy in/out,
and that's recoverable based on implementation (see previous posting).

> Mr kendals example of "lets move tcp out of the kernel" was a good
> analogy to the kind of arguments we're getting on this thread.

It's not as stupid as it sounds.  There are some sound technical reasons
why you might want to do this, and if you used mapping tricks (or better,
page protection via page anonymity), you might even get better performance
out of your applications.  I leave you to rummage papers on the topic
from ftp.sage.usenix.org.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---