Date:      04 Apr 2000 10:39:56 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rotating apache logs (new logs don't appear)

Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@home.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > You need to send a SIGHUP to Apache at the right time.  I use
>
>  Note: Read http://www.freebsddiary.org/rotatelogs.html near the bottom
> [More on Newsyslog], the recommended signal is USR1 [30 in newsyslog]

Be careful with this, though: the SIGUSR1 doesn't guarantee that any
particular httpd process will close its log file handle immediately.
On my web server, I'd rather risk an occasional request being hung up
in the middle rather than risking the loss of log information.  If you
have a delay between moving the log and compressing it, or if you
don't compress it at all, this may not be a problem, but newsyslog(8)
doesn't have any capacity for handling such a delay.

 - Lowell