Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:20:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Certifications

Defryn, Guy wrote to 'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org':

> I hope someone can give me some advise on the following:
>
> I would like to do some Unix certification. I still consider myself
> a newbie and I am not looking for a qualification that needs several
> exams such as MS' MCSE or MCSA.  I would like to something that is a
> bit like MCP. Just one exam to start off with :-)

Good question.

The only way I know of to become "certified" in UNIX is to find an
area (or general practice) that you excel at, write a book on it,
submit the manuscript, and become a well sold author. That, or
contribute significant new code or research to [the kernel of] an open
source operating system. Having original published works is pretty
much tops on my list of things to look for on a professional resume.
"Where do you want to work today?"

If you don't have that much time, a bachelor's degree in computer
science can also take you places, although maybe not as directly as
the above. Following this up with M.Sc and Ph.D. is usually a good
idea if you have the time to invest. Good institutions have a
dedicated OS track that will make you a master in your area by the
time you are done.

Don't like school? Hacking around on your own might get you the odd
consulting/tech job here and there. You might get lucky and work tech
support. Maybe you'll even get promoted.

I'm sure we could come up with some "certification" criteria, but
there are so many essential criteria that can not be tested. UNIX
isn't so much about knowing a slew of 2-5 letter commands and their
syntax. That's what man pages and other reference materials are for.
Being able to combine the reference sources in creative ways, building
your own unique layers of abstraction, is really what UNIX is all
about.

*EVERYONE* here can problem solve. You won't impress many people for
long with stupid shell tricks that solve problems people could barf up
in C 30 years ago. If you want to be *really* good, you'll have to
invent some problems nobody has thought of yet... and then maybe hire
tech school grads to write the code :-)

> I am not sure if there is a Freebsd specific one but something that
> would test general Unix knowledge would be nice.
>
> What about Linux + certification?

I think basically the same thing applies. You'll increase your
hireability by knowing multiple platforms in detail. There are a lot
of diverse server farms out there.

> Cheers
>
> Guy

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon