Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 96 18:10:53 PST
From:      Ben Jackson <bjj@sequent.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buggy 2940 driver?

In message <199601050125.RAA08712@freefall.freebsd.org> , you wrote:
> >I have a 2940 connected to (among other things) a QUPD1800S.  During
> >extended periods of heavy read activity (ie backups) the device and/or
> >card will eventually hang, [...]
>
> Well, as the author of the driver, what can I say?  I do the best
> that I can in the amount of time that I have. [...]

Justin,

Please don't get the wrong idea!  I appreciate your work on the driver--
and I'm sure Amancio does too.  I was just detailing my experience to
correlate with Amancio's report.  I have tried several driver revisions
(because I was way downrev on FreeBSD when I got the card) and the results
are largely unchanged over several driver versions.  I don't know if it's
a problem with the drive, the card, the driver, or the OS's use of the
driver.  I would pursue it, but I have no device driver experience.  I'm
open to suggestions, requests for experiments and beta testing.

>   I do hope that you will at least try the revision
> that was just committed to the tree.

I will do that when I get a chance (my birthday is tommorow, so I'll be
busy).  My repeat-by is just 'dump ...', which usually hangs a few minutes
after it starts dumping regular files.  Would any ouput (trace, crash
dump, etc) be useful?  Does anyone have a similar (SCSI2 ~2G drive) on
a 2940 that has had similar experiences?

--Ben