Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:33:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: project truck.....ideas wanted

> > > GPS might be useful depending on the length of the run; I suspect that
> > > its basic accuracy won't be good enough to give you useful figures.
> >
> > Actually, GPS is *very* accurate.  If you really want to do GPS, setup a
> > stationary unit, and use the data collected from it.  You can get better
> > than 1-meter accuracy that way (differential GPS.)
>
> Damn, I forgot DGPS.  You will want a decent wireless radio link
> between the truck and your base station to run the DGPS data (from
> memory the Rockwell modules want 9600 bps) over.  A relatively cheap
> shorthaul wireless modem set should give you enough to run PPP over.
> You could use this for realtime telemetry.  8)

You don't even *need* a wireless radio link, since the GPS unit will
allow you to synchronize your clocks with the satellites, thus allowing
you the ability to use time-stamps for your readings that you can
'differentialize' after the run.

> > > Watch out for fifth-wheel speed recorders; they have a tendancy to
> > > disintegrate under severe conditions.
> >
> > Not only that, they tend to slow you down. :)
>
> This is when they're working, or after they've become small rototillers
> dragging clumps of the roadway behind you?

Both, although the latter tends to provide much more friction, but for a
shorter period of time until it disintigrates! *grin*

Nate