Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   npx0 problems

I have a clients box that is doing the oddest thing.
It has a kernel I built right after i installed 2.2.6 on this machine with
npx0 being used no emulation. It is a 486-DX 50.

CPU: i486 DX2 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x435  Stepping=5
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>

npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface

Here is the kernel config im TRYING to get to work.

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I486_CPU"
ident           PREMAC
maxusers        64

options         MATH_EMULATE
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce
buffers
options         "AUTO_EOI_1"
options         "AUTO_EOI_2"

config          kernel  root on wd0 dumps on wd0

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector
fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
vector wdintr

disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl      1
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   vn      1
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall.
options         KTRACE          #kernel tracing

# This provides support for System V shared memory.
#
options         SYSVSHM

The bizaare thing is that the only kernel I can get working is kernel.safe
the kernel i custom built right after I installed this machine.
All the other kernels I have attempted to install hang on npx0 on bootup.
This is a remote machine and I have not verfied this with my own eyes.
This is what the client says. So all im wondering is if anyone else
running -stable has seen this at all? I have cvsuped 3 different times to
see if it was just a problem with stable. No go. I have even made world.
from newer stable sources. So if anyone has seen this let me know, so I
dont think im crazy. Either that or the client is NOT booting off the
kernels im rebuilding even though he says he is.

Chris

--
"Linux... The choice of a GNUtered generation."

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security