Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:41:38 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "Rashid N. Achilov" <shelton@sentry.granch.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Docs in SGML

"Rashid N. Achilov" wrote:
> Ten (10) years ago in USSR were only DOS boxes (Imagine, NO Windoze :-)) ).
> And, of course, no programs with Russian interface. :-)That time I already
> was a Programmer :-) Since that I'm got so accustomed to English interface,
> that and now for me "1 Помощь 2 Меню 3 Смотр" (here was used russian letters)
> looks like strange and enormous rather "1 Help 2 Menu 3 View".
>
> Thats way I find all this noise about "localization" useless for me.

I can understand that and I respect your ability to work in 2 different
languages. Being from the U.S., I'm pretty lazy in that aspect as I've
only needed to know English.
However, keep in mind that the localization effort is for everyone using
a computer. There are probably many, many more people in the USSR that
would not be comfortable trying to work in English software than there
are people like you.

> Well, probably SGML is a future-language. But why would have been remained
> text files, and make SGML in additon instead make in replacing?

I think you misunderstood. The document is created in SGML, and then
programs can convert it. For example, if a man page is written in SGML,
it's trivial to convert it HTML (for the hypertext man pages at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi) and it's also trivial to convert it
to the format that the man program uses.
Thus, the docs are maintained in SGML and make is run to convert them to
whatever formats they're needed in. It's a programming thing ;)

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?