Date:      Tue, 15 May 2007 11:50:02 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Ross Penner <ross.penner@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File System errors

On May 15, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Ross Penner wrote:
[ ... about fsck... ]
> It seems to my unexperienced eye that their are problems in some of
> the filesystems, but they arn't being resolved. I tried running fsck
> -y  and nothing changed. What am I doing wrong? How can I resolve
> these issues? Thanks for any help you can offer.

You can only (usefully) run fsck on unmounted filesystems.  Normally,
if a filesystem has problems and cannot be mounted, the system will
not enter multi-user mode and will require the operator to run it
from single-user mode.  You can also boot off of a CD and fsck the
hard drive that way.

Note that you generally need to answer "yes" to the repair questions
fsck asks of you....

--
-Chuck