Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:16:23 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 3GHz [[ alledgedly]]

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 06:29:05PM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Gary Kline wrote:
>  > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:09:45PM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
>  > > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Gary Kline wrote:
> [..]
>  > >  > 	I just bought the last pre-Lenovo [?] IBM ThinkPad.  I would have
> Fair enough.  Well I'd never even heard of the G-series before, so it's
> news to me.  I see they do sport a Mobile P4 from 3.06 up to 3.46GHz.
> Best reference I found is: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:G41
>
>  > 	Anyway, in case you need some (clearing my throat) "fertilizer",
>  > 	I can send you what i've scraped off.
>
> Thanks all the same, but we have chooks here for that ..

	:-)

> That's the one.  For years I've done most of my day to day work on a '99
> Compaq 1500c laptop that refuses to die, though its second keyboard is
> getting sloppy, but it has the best touchpad I've used including several
> more recent laptops including MY daughter's Macs.  I'm still not ready
> to move to my T23 for day to day work despite its excellent keyboard,
> after quite regular attempts at being at least half as productive with
> its TrackPoint.  People keep telling me that I'll get used to it ..
>
> Maybe I'll just have to be my own guinea pig, though it's now ~A$100 ..

	i Bought some kind of 1980 clicky keyboard: ~$90US.  But it's
	very, very nice.  I can hear every key, even tho I watch the
	keyboad and not the display.  [never learned to type].

>  >
>  > 	I'll poke around on web and on computer.  It's heavy for a
>  > 	"portable"; 11 lbs to ship, so 8or 9 probably. Did I mention that
>  > 	I had the guy upgrad to a 120G drive and 2GB of DDR?
>
> No, but that's good.  Yeah it looks pretty chunky, hardly for the lap,
> still it'll use a lot less power than a desktop and likely last forever.

	LOL, that's the idea.  My bare-bones AMD sux up more watts that
	our old refrigerator.... now that was had to believe until I
	actually bought a Watt-O-Meter [or whatever].  As soon as I have
	7.1 or Ubuntu 8.xx, I can turn off the home-brew and relax
	knowing that I'm that kmuch greener.

> I see options include 3 screens, either Intel or NVidia video, 2 wifi
> adaptors (both Atheros based, should work) and 2 Broadcomm LAN adaptors.

	I guess it does pay to look on the underside.  The DOZE key is
	there along with several other numbers.  Is this the S/N:
	99 - A0776 ??   You're right about it not being a brgain l'top.
	--Well, if you are 6-foot-6... .

> Well do check the IBM/Lenovo site regarding its BIOS and EC versions,
> and be sure to install the latest ones, especially regarding ACPI, as
> you'll probably want to run powerd to keep it running cool when idle.

	I'll check this out.  Seems like the XP powers down within a few
	minutes.  Maybe I'll try to upgrad the BIOS while I've still got
	the DOS on there.  I've nevver upgraded a BIOS so this will be a
	new one.  --Still waiting to get a new /used 25" CAT5 cable.
	tHe one from '03 is flakey.--

> Ah, just downloaded the Hardware Maintenance Manual referenced on that
> ThinkWiki page to add to my collection .. gotta love IBM manuals .. and
> see that a) some actually went up to 3.73GHz, whee, and b) it has a
> floppy drive, which may make BIOS upgrading less tedious, though you may
> still need to make floppy/s on a 'doze box (eg this one before wiping?)

	No floppy drive with the computer.  I did save the one from my
	600E.  This model runs at 3.06GHz.  Should be fast enough since
	I'll use use part of the memory as a drive.  --Floppy/s; have to
	search around, or beg, borrow, steal!

> All in all, it looks like a pretty useful sort of machine, if you're not
> planning to cart it around too much.

	Furthest is over to the branch library.  But only if I can find a
	winch:)
> Can I ask what you paid for it?  Got it from Quebeck and haven't kept
track of the exchange rate.  But the original was $600+ $95 for the
upgrade. Plus 3-day rush-rush shipping.  NO BLOODY IDEA why the shipping
had to be so fast....

Anyway around 735Can$.  But this one will probably outlive me, so I
figure it was a good deal.

gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix