Date:      Thu,  5 Apr 2001 09:42:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@dojo.tao.ca>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboot, no panic. Recovering from a crash.

Hi.

[please CC me as I am not on the list... not here anyways...]

Rasputin wrote:

> * fury <fury@unixforever.net> [010405 06:28]:
>
> > No it was NOT a hardware issue unlike many ppl stated, fact is, I have
never
> > figured it out.
>
> Then how do you know it wasn't hardware?

Well, he did mentionned he changed every piece of hw in his box. ;)

The thing is that this happened to me before, but I can say it's happening
regularly. And I can't say I can reproduce it either. So, *for me* it might
just be hardware. As you said, there's no way to tell.

But I still think a lot of people just toss "it's hardware" around way too
easily. :) If it would be hardware, I don't understand why heavy load would
trigger the crash. And even then... I had even heavier load before. This was
no big deal (3 make install, big copy and an ssh session). The makes weren't
even to the build process yet (just fetching). During the week, I did this
process a few times already and had 2-3 builds *compiling* at the same time.
While playing MP3 and doing ssh, that's what I call heavy load on a P166. :)

Maybe you can enlighten me on this. :)

What particular this time is that I was doing a copy off my SCSI CDR. That's
the unusual thing.

I will try to reproduce the crash tonight.

[snip]

> > I really don't know how to put this, but since we're in a code freeze
> > and I'm running stable, if a few people witness this behavior, well...
>
> And that was my question too. All I can say to help is that 4-3-RC0
> (built on April Fools Day) is running a treat now.

Oh, here too! There never seems to be any problem with freebsd, might it be
4.3RC or 2.2.8, for that matter.

I just had a crash. Just one. In a good while. I'm very satisfied with
FreeBSD. Heck, I haven't even needed Windoze for months now! Actually, I was
making a copy of my windoze CDROM because it couldn't be read in my old
crappy ATAPI CDROM. Windoze hasn't been booting for months (bad system disk).

And of course, Win98 SE CDs are too stupid to be bootable (mine, at least).

> > FreeBSD shall.anarcat.yi.org 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #2: Wed Mar 14
> > 18:50:48 EST 2001     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SHALL  i386
> >
> > A few minutes ago, I was doing a few things at the same time on my
> > machine. I was doing a make install clean in
> > sysutils/[gcombust|gtoaster|xcdroast], copying /mnt/cdr to ~/cdr, and
> > opening a ssh session to my shell account.
> >
> > Before I could get to a password prompt on the shell account, I didn't
> > even had time to realize what's going on that my computer beeped and was
> > back to the BIOS POST startup procedure.
>
> <nods> Shikima usually did it when I was on the wrong end of an SSH session.

Wrong end, that's client-side, as me?

> > I had so much scrapped files that I interrupted the process at some
> > point to restart it with "fsck -y". Things like UNREF DIR, LINK COUNT
> > DIR, UNREF FILE, and all sort of evil warnings of the kind.
>
> That was a big worry too - didn't lose any data here though.
> Do you run softupdates? Might be worth enabling them until you get this
fixed;
> I didn't really notice the overhead on a P133/32Mb.

No. But I will, I swear. Performance improvement, and crash recovery too. I
can't really afford *not* to run it anymore. :)

> > The "crash" has somehow been recorded in wtmp. last says:
> >
> > anarcat          ttyp1    :0               Mer  4 avr 23:45 - 23:47
(00:01)
> > reboot           ~                         Mer  4 avr 23:43
> > anarcat          ttyp4    :1               Mer  4 avr 23:26 - crash
(00:17)
> > apocalypse.
>
> That's interesting.
> I never managed to find any log evidence that a crash had happened.

I found it odd too. But don't get too excited here. :) What I think this log
means is that there is no evidence of the crash itself. Probably that wtmp
just gets cleaned up with the machine reboots.

And anyways, the "reboot" entry in itself is very probably put there when the
machine powers up again *after* the crash. Then, it would be logical to note
that anarcat cannot still be logged in... :)

Anyways, if you look at the times, 23:26 + 00:17 = 23:43, which is *after* the
crash recovery. The crash probably happened somewhere around 23:41 or 42...
And surely hasn't been noted in wtmp, from the speed at which it occured..

> > Don't do as daddy does, boys and girls. Do backups. Often. You never
> > know when the shit'll the fan. :)
>
> I(n my experience, it's the day before you make a monthly backup :^]

Well, that's better than nothing. No backups here. :( I have a CDRW here, but
30 Gb does not fit well on a 800Mb disc. How am I suppose to manage that
anyways????

I never figured that out. With tapes, it's a charm. Just dump everything
sequentially. But a CDR is so akward, so *not* made for regular (or
incremental) backups.

I really have to get a tape here.

Thanks for the info,

The Anarcat

--
La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.

--
Everything is normal. Thus, nothing is.