Date:      Mon, 14 May 2012 15:23:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building FreeBSD to install or update in two DESTDIRs

> I would like to build FreeBSD to install in two places: regular hard drive and also on a USB stick, probably 8 GB.
>
> USB stick install would be for backup, in case something goes awry with a later update, then I have something to fall back on; could also install tools such as gdisk to use on hard drive.
>
> I tried make installkernel and make installworld, but those didn't fully work right the second time, with DESTDIR=/mnt (USB stick main partition).
REALLY can't help you without any info attached.

As from your description it just have to work and you did all fine.

anyway i usually just do installs to DESTDIR=/something, then tar.gz it
up, and untar whenever i need (but separately tar.gz for /boot/kernel
subdir)

use --unlink option when untarring on live system.