Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:55:26 +0200
From:      Jon Molin <jon.molin@resfeber.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /var/log/messages fills up

Hello list,

This morning when i came to my work my workstation was in a horrble
state, there where netscape popups complaining on the lack of space.

What had happend was, a program had gone crazy and spawned off resulting
in:
Jul  9 21:24:57 jmo /kernel: file: table is full
Jul  9 21:24:57 jmo syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in
system
Jul  9 21:24:57 jmo last message repeated 3 times

and apperently writing this about 1000 times/sec so the file filled the
fs (i know i should have had a /var slice) and therefor it started
adding that to the log as well so i had a 2.9 G large messagefile.

Is there anyway to avoid this? One way could be to make a cronjob that
monitors the log but there should be better way, or?

/jon