Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:12:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Changing req->p to req->td in sysctl

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Robert Watson wrote:

> I should mention that both GENERIC and LINT build fine, but that I wasn't
> sure what to do about the use of req->p in netsmb/netncp.  Both appear
> still to use pre-KSE struct proc all over the place, altough the .h files
> have been updated (?).  I'd be happy to try to update them to post-KSE,
> although I don't use either so can't test them.

netsmb and netncp, along with smbfs and nwfs
are the two modules that defeated me in trying to change them to
a threaded model. This is because they have some
idea of a "session" but it is not clear to me that
whether a session is a "per thread or Per process" thing.

I have been discussing this with Boris
but since he is very busy I haven't god a really definitive
answer on it.. I don't know the protocols so it's hard for me to
figure out what SHOULD be done. In discussions with Boris,
it may be that some of the original proc pointers need to be
split into both proc and thread pointers, as it appears that they are
being used for two purposes, one of wich becomes a thread
responsibility and the other of which remains a proc characteristic.

i.e. the thread pointer is used to serialise the accesses, but
a session is owned by a process and any thread in that process
may try use it.