Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2014 08:35:49 -0600
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH Protocol 2 between 9.x and 10.0 fails

On 03/04/2014 10:54 pm, Brett Glass wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> I'm making my first FreeBSD 10.0 server, and have been trying to use
> scp to copy files onto it from a machine running 9.1. However, for
> some reason, transfers only work if I specify the "-1" option on the
> command line. The same is true of interactive SSH sessions; I can't
> log into either machine from the other with SSH Protocol 2. Has anyone
> else noticed this incompatibility? Here's an excerpt from the
> "verbose" output from a failed scp session in which I attempted a file
> transfer from the 9.1 server to the 10.0 server:
>
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
> debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
> OpenSSH_6.4_hpn13v11 FreeBSD-20131111
> debug1: match: OpenSSH_6.4_hpn13v11 FreeBSD-20131111 pat OpenSSH*
> debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
> debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8p2 FreeBSD-20110503
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
>
> ...and then the transaction freezes until it times out.
>
> Sometimes, even specifying "-1" doesn't fully clear up the problems;
> multi-file transfers via scp still stall.
>
> The 9.x server has been fully updated to the latest patch version
> using freebsd-update(8). Anyone else seeing this?
>
> --Brett Glass

Just curious if you have tried using sftp instead of scp?  its just a
curiosity, to see if it exists there as well.

As I am currently running 10 on my laptop, and still managing multiple
9.1 & 9.2 systems from it, I have transferred several files using sftp
without a problem.  As well as having transferred many files between the
couple servers already updated to 10, and the older systems.
I have also used rsync over ssh between the versions, and tunneled tar
through ssh.  All without specifying any non default options, but I
haven't used scp.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer