Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:26:05 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Deprecation campaign

Am 17.03.2011 05:33, schrieb Ruslan Mahmatkhanov:
> 17.03.2011 02:33, Michel Talon пишет:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i noted that ucpp is deprecated because it cannot be fetched
>> from original site. This is an alternate c preprocessor
>> supposed to be better than the gnu one, written by Thomas
>> Pornin. I happen to know the guy (*), so i searched if
>> the soft had been moved, and indeed it can be found here:
>> http://code.google.com/p/ucpp/
>> I hope you may reconsider your decision.
>>
>> With my best regards
>>
>> (*) i think he now runs a crypto firm in the Boston area.
>
> I've tried to adopt the port to new distfile..
> It builds but doesn't produce ucpp binary.
> Maybe you or anybody can look what's wrong.

Guys,

all these efforts to rescue the ports are all good, but: do we actually
_need_ the ports?  Just having one more port isn't a value in itself.

And if yes, can someone step up to become maintainer of the port,
meaning, upgrade it to new versions, sort FreeBSD bug reports and
forward/file them with the upstream authors, and all that?

Thanks.

--
Matthias Andree
ports committer