Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:59:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Load/Store using FPU regs ...

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> koshy@blr.novell.com stands accused of saying:
> >     >>> L20: fldl (%ebx) fstpl (%ecx) ...
> >     >>>
> >     >>> The resulting program copies data at about 60 Megabytes per
> >     >>> second.
> >

> > Using the FPU registers for memmove/bitblt operations was a technique
> > I first saw on an i860.  We used to do a series of reads into FPU regs
>
> Wheras those of us with 68K backgrounds are rolling in the aisles about
> this one 8)
>
> (For the uninitiated; the 68K can read/write arbitrary groups of registers
>  and increment/decrement the source/destination pointers at the same time.
>  Depending on coding technique, you can read or write as much as 56
>  bytes at a time; the big win (microcoded processor, remember) being no
>  instruction fetches between reads.  It's a pity that Motorola have axed
>  it as a mainstram family 8( )

Axed the family?  They have the newest child out now, 68060, I don't
think they've axed the family.

> Anyway, enough from the nostalgia corner - I'm too young for this!
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
> ]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax)  +61-8-267-3039        [[
> ]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

     Here's OJ's internet address in hex code:
           00 2F 2F 2F 2F 5C 7F 2D 0D 15 1B 19 24 24 24 18
           If you can't recall the translation, here it is:
           null character, slash, slash, slash, slash, backslash, rubout, dash,
           carriage return, negative acknowledgement, escape, end of media,
           dollar sign, dollar sign, dollar sign, cancel